October 15 - 18, 2019
Ampliación fecha de descuento por pago anticipado hasta el 21 de julio
Early payment discount extended until July 21
O prazo de pagamento antecipado foi prorrogado até 21 de julho
The Colombian Society of Philosophy (Sociedad Colombiana de Filosofía, SCF) and the Inter-American Society of Philosophy (Sociedad Interamericana de Filosofìa, SIF) invite to participate at the XVIII Inter-American Congress of Philosophy, to be held in Bogota, Colombia, from October 15 to 18, 2019.
AboutDuring the closing assembly of the V Colombian Congress of Philosophy, held in Medellin, in 2014, João Carlos Salles, who was already President of the SIF (and still is), invited the Sociedad Colombiana de Filosofía, SCF, to serve as the organizer of the next Inter-American Congress of Philosophy. The SCF studied the invitation and, finally, in the general assembly of 2015, approval was given for the SCF to present itself as a candidate to host the event. The initiative was taken to the SIF assembly that took place in Salvador de Bahía on April 2nd, 2016, where the proposal was accepted. Thus, Colombia was chosen as the new host country of the congress and the SCF as its organizer.
- João Carlos Salles President of SIF - Brasil
- Carlos G. Patarroyo President of SCF - Colombia
- Camila de Gamboa Vice-President of SCF – Colombia
- Miguel Giusti Former President of SIF – Perú
- Corina Yoris President – Asociación Venezolana de Filosofía
- Carlos B. Gutiérrez Honorary Member – Colombia
- Carlos Gustavo Patarroyo G. Universidad del Rosario
- Camila de Gamboa Tapias Universidad del Rosario
- Ángel Rivera Novoa Universidad de San Buenaventura
- Andrés Forero Mora Universidad Minuto de Dios
- Ángela Uribe Botero Universidad Nacional de Colombia
- Francisco Cortés Rodas Universidad de Antioquia
- Manuela Fernández Pinto Universidad de los Andes
- Fernando Cardona Universidad Javeriana
- Douglas Niño Ochoa Universidad Jorge Tadeo Lozano
- Javier Roberto Suárez Universidad del Norte
ParticipationYou can be part of the XVIII Inter-American Congress of Philosophy as an:
Submissions from November 15, 2018 until Febraury 28, 2019:
Speakers must fill out the registration form that will be enabled in a timely manner for this purpose, as well as attach, in addition to their personal data, the title of their presentation and a summary of a minimum of 400 words and maximum of 750.
The tables for speakers, grouped in subjects, are:
- Aesthetics and Philosophy of Art
- Ancient and Medieval Philosophy
- Philosophy of Science
- Philosophy of Education
- Philosophy of the Mind
- Philosophy of Religion
- Language Philosophy
- Latin American Philosophy
- Modern Philosophy
- Political Philosophy
- Gender and Feminist Philosophy
- Logic and Argumentation
- Critical Theory
It is possible to propose subjects other than those listed above. Presentations related to the interpretation of works of the history of philosophy and of particular philosophers, among other possible themes, are welcome. Interested speakers must fill out the form that will be enabled for this purpose. Each table must include at least five participating speakers (if possible, speakers at each table should ideally come from at least two different countries).
The proposals, both for individual presentations and for new thematic tables, will be evaluated in a double-blind manner..
If proposals are accepted, the speaker must then send the full text of the paper on the dates stipulated in the congress calendar.
Speaker at plenary session:Only by invitation. The speaker at the plenary session will receive an invitation to participate as such by the Organizing Committee and the Scientific Committee.
AttendeeAttendees must register in the form enabled for that purpose and make the corresponding registration payment.
HistoryWith the support of the American Philosophical Association, the First Inter-American Congress of Philosophy was held in 1944, in Haiti, in conjunction with the X International Congress of Philosophy, organized by the Société Haïtienne d'Études Scientifiques.
The Second Inter-American Congress of Philosophy was held three years later, in 1947, in the city of New York. Towards the end of this congress, the creation of an Inter-American Society of Philosophy was proposed, an initiative that would soon lose momentum and end up in not being implemented.
The Third Inter-American Congress of Philosophy was held in 1950, in Mexico City, where a new attempt was made to consolidate the idea of forming the Inter-American Society of Philosophy as a “Federation of Philosophical Societies”. The matter went so far as to convene a provisional organizing committee of that society.
By the year 1951, the Organizing Committee of the Fourth Inter-American Congress of Philosophy had already been formed, which planned to hold the Congress in 1953, in Havana, thus celebrating the centenary of José Martí’s birth. However, after the coup that took place in March 1952, the congress was canceled.
Only in 1954, in the city of Sao Paulo, was the Inter-American Society of Philosophy (SIF) finally conformed. It entrusted the organization of the IV Inter-American Congress of Philosophy to the Sociedad Chilena de Filosofía. This congress was the first one convened and co-organized by the nascent SIF. It took place in Santiago, in the year of 1956.
Since then, and with relative periodicity, the Inter-American Congress of Philosophy has been held as shown in the following table:
Salvador de Bahia
October 30, 2018
Registration of papers and thematic tables
November 15, 2018 until May 7th, 2019
Response to accepted proposals
May 15, 2019
Final inscription of speakers and sending of the paper’s final version (with a 20% discount)
June 20 to July 21, 2019
Final inscription of speakers and sending of the paper’s final version (without discount)
July 21 to August 30, 2019
Registration of attendees (with a 20% discount)
April 20 to July 30, 2019
Registration of attendees (without discount)
August 1 to September 30, 2019
October 15 to 18, 2019
RegistrationRegistration for the XVIII Congreso Interamericano de Filosofía are open in the next categories:
- Speaker at an Existing Table: This form allows the registration for any of the tables listed in the participation section
- Proposal of a New Thematic Table : The table must have a minimum of 4 speakers already confirmed by you for your submission. If possible, we invite you to include speakers from at least two countries. Your proposal will be evaluated as a whole, that is, the table and all its presentations will be accepted, or none at all. Under no circumstances will we accept the table and reject some of its presentations. The speakers registered at this table do not need to register themselves individually (they will still require paying individually for the participation at the Congress, if the table is accepted)
- Book Presentation: Keep in mind that it must be a book published after January 1st, 2017. The presenter can be the author or an additional presenter.
- Atendant: attendants can register directly by paying the registration fee down below
By clicking on any of the modalities you will find a form to carry out the registration process. Your submission will be evaluated and, if accepted, we will send an email to the address you have registered with further instructions.
Soon you’ll find out here an option to make your payment via PayPal
Fees and Payments
Sing up fee for speakers and attendants (20% of for early payment, from June 20th until July 21st)
Sing up fee for speakers and attendants (full price, from July 22nd until august 30th)
Sing up fee for active members of the SCF (for either speakers and attendants, from June 20th until August 30th)
Sing up fee for Students(from June 20th until August 30th)